Web Front End Engineering Manager
San Francisco, CA
Blurb® is a book-making platform and creative community that enables individuals to create, publish, share and sell high-quality photo books, trade books, and magazines in both print and digital formats. Blurb is accessible to consumers across the globe with free, innovative book creation and layout tools. Founded in 2005, Blurb has over 2 million customers worldwide, resulting in over 4 million unique book titles, with nearly 18 million units shipped to almost 100 countries around the world. We are headquartered in San Francisco.
We evolve our platform continually in response our dynamic market, including significant partnering through API's. To expand and strengthen our platform and application offering, we seek a hands-on, experienced technical leader, a Software Engineering Manager player/coach. We are organized for teamwork, mentorship and professional growth. Ideally you are that experienced individual, motivated to collaborate and lead with others, solve hard problems and advance your career.
As the Web Front End technical leader on our Agile team, you will lead and guide a team of software engineers delivering frequent updates and significant new functionality for our end users.
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com
- Collaborate with other internal teams and stakeholders to refine plans for UI/UX and RESTful API's for new services
- Drive selection of libraries and toolkits and devise migration strategies for them
- Deliver your own design and coding assignments in support of specific scrum team efforts
- Ensure team consideration for fault tolerance, extensibility and maintainability
- Continually be mindful of quality: careful coding and review, testing and thoroughness, deployment and verification. Definition of Done!
- Set clear goals for individuals to drive collaborative results
- Recruit and retain talent in a highly competitive market
- Foster a high performing culture through mentorship, development, and process tuning
- Team with other managers to establish and grow a common culture of teamwork and excellence
Education/Certifications: BS in Computer Science or related discipline, or equivalent education plus relevant work experience
Work Experience: A minimum of 2+ years of managing software engineers in a dynamic environment.
- BS in Computer Science or related discipline, or equivalent education plus relevant work experience
- A minimum of 2+ years of managing software engineers in a dynamic environment. This means you fully comprehend the tasks and responsibilities, and seek growth and guidance along this professional path, while retaining your technical chops.
- Significant experience with associated front-end technologies and libraries e.g, React, Ember, Node and the attendant skills with HTML and CSS. Construction of SPA's with optimal REST/API communication.
- Performance focused. Skilled in analysis and design for implementation, sizing, performance tuning, and scalability. Familiar with CDN and caching/purging service integration.
- Familiarity with Rails, Django or similar web app framework will be an added advantage
- Experience with CI/CD tools like Jenkins, CircleCI, Travis CI etc., setting up pipelines and managing build procs
- Focused written communication skills for subsystem planning and designs
- Team spirit! Making the effort and taking pride in helping others. Supporting our work in production, being continually inclusive with our DevOps team.
- Able to listen and evaluate ideas and opinions without bias, and contribute to a common culture of excellence!
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (HMO, PPO, HSA options)
- Parental Leave Benefit
- Employer-Paid Life insurance, Short-term and Long-term disability
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts for Medical, Dependent Care, and Transportation and Parking expenses
- 10 Paid Holidays
- 15 Days Paid Time Off Per Year (with tenure-based increases after two years)
- Birthday Off
- Catered Lunch on Wednesdays
- Office massage
- $300 credit A Year to Create Your Own Books with Blurb
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Blurb is committed to equal opportunity and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and other job functions are subject to modification. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.