Senior Software Architect
San Francisco, CA
Blurb® is a book-making platform and creative community that enables individuals to create, publish, share and sell high-quality photo books, trade books, and magazines in both print and digital formats. Authors and professionals trust us with their creative work and rave about the results! We're a great company with a lot of growth ahead of us. Check us out at Blurb.com
We evolve our platform continually in response our dynamic market, including significant partnering through API's. To expand and strengthen our platform and application offering, we seek a hands-on, experienced technical leader, a software architect in the traditional sense:
- Comprehension of the big picture, where the business is going and how the various subsystems support it.
- Ability to identify and prioritize evolutionary paths for those subsystems, and their overall architectural principles, frameworks and standards, through practical analysis and experimentation with lead engineers. Your experience and skills should include:
- Modernization of front end apps, selection of new technologies and the process of migration to them
- Significant refactoring of middleware and separation of web framework functions
- Optimizing use of data stores, appropriate to flexibility or scaling needs, including balancing distribution vs. consolidation among microservices.
- Continual concern for scalability, fault tolerance, extensibility, maintainability.
- Technically credible. You are a proven engineer who has produced and evolved such systems in the large. This may seem similar to today's notion of the full-stack engineer, but the emphasis is less on the bleeding edge of each technology, and more on the science of making good, lasting choices.
- Excel at problem decomposition, whether at the large-scale system level or deeper functional optimization. You understand and embrace complexity as the challenge, and think in interfaces to address the solution space.
- Ability to mentor and build consensus, working in a consultative fashion with other groups such as Product or IT. All these activities require teamwork and communication skills, to help drive to a common vision and maintain day-to-day focus. Communication includes strong writing and documenting skills, and leading day-to-day whiteboarding and "discovery" sessions.
About You on our Team:
We are organized and motivated for teamwork, mentorship and professional growth. Ideally you are that experienced architect, motivated to help us solve hard problems and build for our future! If this picture fits you, and you feel you match the general picture above and the qualifications below, please let us know!
I'm the new head of engineering at Blurb and I am fully involved in finding our next round of engineers. You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, with details at https://www.linkedin.com/in/chrisradcliffe1/ and https://www.linkedin.com/company/blurb/
- We will look particularly closely for experience and skill in areas such as the following, which do indicate our current stack elements:/li>
- 10+ years of Java (preferred) or similar server-side platform strengths, with significant focus on RESTful Web Services at scale/li>
- Similarly, strong experience with Spring or related enterprise-scale framework/li>
- Experience with Hibernate, RDBMS design, query optimization/li>
- Experience with caching methods like Redis, memcached, EHCache/li>
- Skilled in analysis and design for implementation, sizing, performance tuning, and scalability/li>
- Familiarity with Rails, Django or similar web app framework will be an added advantage
and of course:
- Team spirit! Making the effort and taking pride in helping others. Supporting our work in production, being continually inclusive with our DevOps team.
- Able to listen and evaluate ideas and opinions without bias, and contribute to a common culture of excellence!
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (HMO, PPO, HSA options)
- Parental Leave Benefit
- Employer-Paid Life insurance, Short-term and Long-term disability
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts for Medical, Dependent Care, and Transportation and Parking expenses
- 10 Paid Holidays
- 15 Days Paid Time Off Per Year (with tenure-based increases after two years)
- Birthday Off
- Catered Lunch on Wednesdays
- Office massage
- $300 credit A Year to Create Your Own Books with Blurb
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Blurb is committed to equal opportunity and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and other job functions are subject to modification. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.