Manager in Test, Web
San Francisco, CA
Blurb® is a book-making platform and creative community that enables individuals to create, publish, share and sell high-quality photo books, trade books, and magazines in both print and digital formats. Blurb is accessible to consumers across the globe with free, innovative book creation and layout tools. Founded in 2005, Blurb has over 2 million customers worldwide, resulting in over 4 million unique book titles, with nearly 18 million units shipped to almost 100 countries around the world. We are headquartered in San Francisco.
The Web team at Blurb enables people all over the globe to buy, sell and share books seamlessly through the Blurb platform and beyond. As a member of this agile team, you will be responsible for collaborating and innovating on cutting-edge features and developing a scalable infrastructure to ship features to our worldwide customer base.
We're a group of tinkerers, makers, hackers, and language enthusiasts, who hail from all over the world and a variety of backgrounds. Some technologies we use daily include Rails, Ruby, React, Ember, Backbone, Redis, PostgreSQL, jQuery, Sass, RSpec, Cucumber, HTML5 and Github. We practice continuous integration and test constantly. We work closely with our product owners to make sure we're building the right thing at the right time.
What we’ve done:
- We delivered an entirely new author-focused user experience on Blurb.com.
- We built a submission workflow for author submission of books on Blurb.com onto Amazon.com, allowing our authors to list their books for sale on the world's largest retailer.
- We have continuous integration feedback loops on committed code (and pull requests) via GitHub-Jenkins-Jira feedback loops that update relevant build/deployment status and links everywhere.
- We maintain continuous delivery pipelines with several thousand tests executed in automated integration suites.
- We've adopted awesome, modern tools such as Jira, Jenkins, GitHub, AWS, SauceLabs, SumoLogic, NewRelic, IntelliJ, Retina MacBooks.
As Manager in Test you will be responsible for setting standards in automated and manual testing solutions. You will look to match the best testing technology and solutions to our pipelines, constantly on the hunt for ways to improve things. You will manage and mentor direct reports, but you will also be hands-on with our scrum teams’ day-to-day work, interacting with developers, product managers, and designers on a daily basis to deliver on sprint goals.
We believe the only way to successfully maintain and grow web services is by automating testing at every layer - unit, service, deployment, and the integrated system. You are a software engineer and thrive on applying your technical skills to build elegant solutions to meet quality goals. You have a big picture view of how web infrastructure works, how code gets built, tested, and deployed. You know how to make the end-user experience great.
- Manage QA for our customer facing web and native applications
- Continually drive quality assurance initiatives forward and communicate ideas in documentation, presentations, and one-on-one pairing
- Work closely with the development scrum team to ensure we are crafting elegant solutions for our expansive e-commerce platform, which facilities all aspects of printer routing, shipping, order fulfillment and customer support to our worldwide customer base
- Document defects effectively and collaborate with developers to see them resolved
- Work with the scrum team to ensure that all stories have well defined acceptance criteria, test plans, and any hooks needed to enable testability
- Diagnose issues to determine scope and provide reproduction scenarios
- Deliver high quality product releases
- Thrive in an agile environment where pair-wise development is common and agile design decisions are made collaboratively every day
Education: BS in Computer Science or a related discipline, or equivalent training
Work Experience: 5+ years of building test automation, with deep experience in multiple test frameworks
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to mentor, guide, and inspire team members
- Clear understanding of automated testing as it relates to websites, client/server systems, mobile, and APIs
- Experience configuring continuous integration systems, such as Jenkins
- Solid object-oriented programmer (e.g. Ruby, Python, Java)
- Solid grasp and enthusiasm for Agile/XP development practices (e.g. TDD, pair programming)
- Knowledge of relational databases and ability to run SQL queries to verify data
- Ability to see the big picture and remain strategic in your decision making
- Results oriented and takes initiative
- Positive attitude, collaborative, and a solid team player
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (HMO, PPO, HSA options)
- Parental Leave Benefit
- Employer-Paid Life insurance, Short-term and Long-term disability
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts for Medical, Dependent Care, and Transportation and Parking expenses
- 10 Paid Holidays
- 15 Days Paid Time Off Per Year (with tenure-based increases after two years)
- Birthday Off
- Catered Lunch on Wednesdays
- Office massage
- $300 credit A Year to Create Your Own Books with Blurb
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Blurb is committed to equal opportunity and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and other job functions are subject to modification. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.