Business Development Manager
San Francisco, CA
Blurb® is a book-making platform and creative community that enables individuals to create, publish, share and sell high-quality photo books, trade books, and magazines in both print and digital formats. Blurb is accessible to consumers across the globe with free, innovative book creation and layout software. Founded in 2005, Blurb has over 2 million customers worldwide, resulting in over 3 million unique book titles, with nearly 22 million units shipped to over 70 countries around the world. We are headquartered in San Francisco.
The Business Development team currently consists of the Senior Director and the General Manager. You will have a significant role in growing revenue through initiating and developing strategic partnerships aligned with the direction of the company.
We are looking for a business development manager that can jump in and make an immediate impact. The Business Development Manager is tasked with going-to-market with newly formed partnerships, managing and farming existing partners as well as establishing new strategic relationships. You will be working closely with the Senior Director of Business Development to grow revenue from existing strategic partners while pushing forward with new partnerships in verticals that will contribute to Blurb’s revenue growth.
- Working closely with marketing, product, engineering, operations, finance and other business units to execute deals and expedite market launch.
- Manage partnerships on an ongoing basis to ‘farm’ the relationship so that partners, customers and Blurb are best served.
- Manage some BD verticals in which you will be discovering, negotiating and closing strategic partnerships.
Other Job Functions:
- Creating business cases for new initiatives and partnerships. Other projects as assigned.
Education/Certifications: Bachelor’s Degree required and MBA, JD, Master’s Degree in economics, photography, design, statistics, data science preferred.
- Minimum 5 years’ business development experience, preferably at a fast-growing technology/software company.
- Experience initiating, negotiating and closing strategic partnerships with a minimum value of $200K per year.
- Experience going-to-market with new partnerships to ensure that deals are executed and opportunities are maximized.
- Experience working with both internal and external stakeholders to ensure that partnerships are pushed through to completion and/or launched and managed for best results. Stakeholders can include marketing, finance, operations, engineering, product and support.
- Account management experience and using metrics to measure the performance of each deal.
- Experience leveraging data to create business cases that have persuaded internal and external stakeholders to act on significant deals.
- Strategic thinker and can see ‘both the forest and the trees’.
- High degree of analytical and critical thinking skills. Possess intellectual curiosity.
- Independent, self-motivated with a bias towards action.
- Team player with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in CRM tools, MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and can juggle multi-tasks with an eye on achieving the most critical ones first.
Supervisory Responsibility: N/A.
Blurb is a high-growth company, which means tremendous challenges and opportunities. We are looking for smart people who learn fast, solve problems, and get the job done. Our team is tasked with finding innovative ways to achieve hyper-growth and looking at new verticals and possibly new business models.
May be required to work extended hours at times.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (PPO or HMO options)
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Employer-paid life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transportation expenses
- 10 paid holidays
- 15 days paid time off per year (with tenure-based increases after two years)
- An extra day off for your birthday
- Free lunch on Wednesdays
- Company sponsored yoga and in-office massages
- $300 credit a year to create your own books with Blurb
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Blurb is committed to equal opportunity and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and other job functions are subject to modification. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Blurb® is a book-making platform and creative community that enables individuals to create, publish, share and sell high-quality photo books, trade books, and magazines in both print and digital formats. Blurb is accessible to consumers across the globe with free, innovative book creation and layout tools. Founded in 2005, Blurb has over 2 million customers worldwide, resulting in over 4 million unique book titles, with nearly 18 million units shipped to almost 100 countries around the world. We are headquartered in San Francisco.